Friday, November 30, 2007

Reader and Kindle

Professor Moss posted an interesting blog about a new wireless reading device. There are some reading devices out on the market now, two of which are the Reader and Kindle. The growing technology is making it easier and easier everyday to obtain information. Having a small portable device to read a book or a newspaper is a very creative and innovative tool. I would consider getting a Kindle myself if the price goes down. I like the fact that Professor Moss added the comment about texture in her blog. I think it would be quite difficult to adjust to such a device. We were taught to hold a book in our hands and manually flip pages to continue reading. It will be interesting to see how I would be able to adapt to a Reader or Kindle. I am unsure if I rather have a book on paper or read a book through a wireless device. Most of my reading is done through the computer so having another wireless device to read information from will probably not be a major adjustment for me. I am curious to know what others think about a wireless reading device!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I personally like the texture and feel of carrying a book around. Until they invent electronic paper that feels like the real thing, has roughly the same dimensions and doesn't cause eyestrain I'm sticking with chewed up trees.

The Kindle has hurt its chances of succeeding with its looks. It looks like something from 1980, not 2007. Devices that succeed today are sleek, have touch screen interfaces and certainly have more than 256 megs internal memory. I'm disappointed in Amazon.

Unknown said...

I would hate having to read on a computer screen all day! The amount I use a computer already strains my eyes, this would just seem like an extra burden. I read hundreds and hundreds of pages a week...many times needing to highlight, underline, and make notes on pages in the book. Would I be able to do this as quickly and efficiently with an electronic device?

Also how tough are these devices? College students today beat thier books with brute force and take their text to extreme enviroments...would electronic devices be able to journey places where books are acceptable but laptops are forbidden...one must consider this before jumping on the bandwagon.

I just don't know Mike...I just don't know