Sunday, December 9, 2007

Technology Advancements and its Effects on Education

Technology is advancing every day, and how will these technological advancements effect education? I remember back when I was in middle school, and I only had a simple scientific calculator to do all my math homework and exams. Now in college, almost everyone owns a graphing calculator. The ability of the graphing calculator is far greater than a scientific calculator. With advancements like this, how do exams and learning styles change. Is there a trend that more exams are becoming open book? It seems to me that with the rapidly growing technology and all the resources that are offered to us, exams and homework is focused more on application and understanding, rather than memorizing or plugging in equations into a calculator. I think more schools are encouraging students to use all the resources possible to do homework and understand material, but when it comes down to a final test, it is up to the student to see what they have learned to apply it to different situations. I would like to know how you think technology is affecting our schools. Are students more prepared for the real world with all the resources that are offered or did students without all the technology accessible to them have the upper hand?

No comments: